Monday, January 28, 2008

The Pursuit of Happiness

I was reading a book on Buddhism recently.  And one of the most important tenents I took out of the reading was simply that desire is the root of unhappiness...

Think about that for a sec.

If we can shed our desires, then we have no reason to get upset... it's kinda true, don't you think?  If I could shed my desire to want, then I could find contentment in myself at this moment...

But, wow, that's really hard to do.  I want a smart, capable, and gorgeous girlfriend.  I want a bigger house and super-fly car.  I want a vodka martini right now but ran out of vodka!  

Well, there's another book I'm reading called the 4-hour Work Week - now this guy tells me to make a list of the things I want, but more importantly, the person I want to be and the activities I want to do - and to achieve them!  But to go after them with effectiveness, with a different perspective, and with a knowledge and wisdom that most 9-to-5'ers completely lack.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imaginiation" - Oscar Wilde.

Yeah, I like this perspective, too.  I'll try to adopt the Buddhist philosophies, but I'm also an over-achiever, and I want to achieve some lofty goals to make a happier life.  Between both of these, I should be one happy dude!

I have much more to read and will keep the blog updated!


No comments: