Thursday, March 06, 2008

Beef. It's not what's for dinner.

I’ve always been an environmentally conscious gal. I was raised in a rural area, so I always had an appreciation for the plants and animals around me. My motivation for being environmentally friendly is purely selfish; I like this earth we live on. I'm sad when I see littered paths and the ever-constant condo construction sites. I want to share with you why it’s important to save the earth that sustains us. Kurt Vonnegut once said that humans are a disease on the earth. I think he’s right, but I also think it’s not too late for us to turn that around.

Beef. Just two pounds of beef is responsible for more greenhouse gasses than driving for three hours while leaving all of the lights on back at home. Seriously. Beef = bad. Greenhouse gasses from beef make up 18% of emissions, more than vehicles. And this is only counting the methane, carbon dioxide and nitrous oxide released from the cow’s digestive system, not the raising and transporting of it. But, don't worry, you really don't have to cut beef out of your diet for good; cutting your consumption in half can greatly reduce the amount of emissions released. And when you are in the mood for red meat, try going organic. Organic beef raised on grass instead of concentrated food uses 40% less greenhouse grasses and 85% less energy. And when you’re in the mood for a burger, try something different and go vegetarian. Veggie burgers are really good and environmentally friendly. Plus they're better for you!

No comments: